Alonso Berruguete (* 1480 in Parades de Nava; â 1561 in Toledo) was a Spanish sculptor, painter and architect.
Berruguete studied in Florence and Rome, where he worked much after Michelangelo and antiquity. Returning to Spain in 1520, Charles V appointed him as his painter and sculptor as well as supervisor and director of the royal buildings. In this capacity Berreguete created and decorated, among other things, the new Royal Palace of Granada, whose ground plan as well as the magnificent circular courtyard inside with its Breccian marble colonnade bear witness to the artist's refined taste. The Archbishop of Toledo, Alonso de Fonseca, entrusted to him the work of the Great College that he founded in Salamanca, the Archbishop of Cuenca the work of the gallery of the Great College of his Archbishopric.
Berruguete also made the altar of the church of San Benito el Real in Valladolid with its sculptural and pictorial decoration. In the Cathedral of Toledo he decorated the choir with semi-lofty works; a masterpiece is the Transfiguration of Christ on Mount Tabor at the rear choir, carved from a single piece of marble. His last work is the tomb of Cardinal Juan de Tavera in the Hospital of Saint John in Toledo. Among Berruguete's buildings we still call the Casa del Ayuntamiento (Town Hall) in Seville, a pattern of the simply beautiful style that became dominant in Spain through him instead of the earlier overload. Berruguete died as Lord of Ventosa, a country estate near AlcalÃ¡ de Henares.