Girolamo da Carpi, also Girolamo Sellari, (* 1501 in Ferrara; 1556 ebenda) was an Italian painter and architect of the Renaissance (school of Ferrara). He worked a lot in Ferrara for the Dukes of the House of Este.
He was the son of the painter Tommaso from Carpi, who was called Sattler (Sellaio). He was after the life story there Carpi´s with Vasari a kind of sign painter. Da Carpi went first in Ferrara to the painting apprenticeship at Garofalo and then to Bologna. He also visited Rome and was influenced by the mannerism of Parmigianino and Giulio Romano. Back in Ferrara he worked for the Dukes of Este as a fresco painter (ducal palace in Ferrara, villas in Belriguardo and Copparo), partly with Dosso Dossi and Battista Dossi (frescoes in the Villa Imperiale in Pesaro).
He was also an architect and in 1550 was commissioned by Pope Julius III to rebuild the Belvedere complex in the Vatican. In Ferrara he led the extension of Castello Estense, designed Palazzo Naselli-Crispi and the church of San Francesco.
In addition to religious and mythological subjects, he painted portraits and pictures with fantastic landscapes.
One of his major works is the Assumption of the Virgin Mary in the National Gallery of Art in Washington D.C. (Muzzarelli panel after the donor Julia Muzzarelli depicted below). Maria in der Glorie appears to four saints of the Gemäldegalerie Dresden has been lost since 1945. In Dresden there are also other paintings by him (Opportunity and Patience 1541, Judith with the Head of Holofernes, Diana and Endymion, Ganymed, Venus in a shell pulled by swans), partly with mythological content from the Palace of the Dukes of Ferrara. There is also in Bologna in San Martino an Adoration of the Magi (1531) and in San Salvatore the Mystical Wedding of Saint Catherine (1532-34).