Hans von Burghausen (* between 1350 and 1360 in Burghausen; 10. August 1432 in Landshut; actually Hanns Purghauser) was a German architect of the late Gothic period. In older literature he was often mistakenly equated with Hans Stethaimer or Hans Krumenauer.
Hans von Burghausen probably learned his trade at the Wiener Bauhütte. He played a decisive role in building the Martinskirche in Landshut, the choir of the Franziskanerkirche in Salzburg, the churches of St. Nikolaus in Neuötting, St. Jakob in Straubing and St. Jakob in Wasserburg am Inn as well as many other smaller buildings, including the St. Barbara Chapel in Meran.
The Church of the Holy Spirit in Landshut is regarded as his main work. Characteristics of his construction were three-nave hall churches and low chapels set in the buttresses. He used brick as building material. The towers of his churches change from a square ground plan to an octagonal ground plan.
A building of the 14th century, the Heilig-Kreuz-Münster von Schwäbisch Gmünd built by Heinrich Parler, was a major inspiration for his work. There one finds the features that were exemplary for Hans von Burghausen: very high and slender round pillars as well as the polygonal building plan with choir perimeter. The transition from the basilical construction to the hall church is particularly evident in the Heilig-Geist-Spitalkirche in Landshut, an extremely steep building with single-storey windows that accentuate the verticality. The polygonal choir is completed by a single pillar, which is surrounded by light from the apse window behind it.
The inscription on his epitaph reads:
Anno . dni . m . cccc . xxxii .
died . hanns . stainmezz . in .
the laurentii, maister of the
church and hospital and
in salczburg cze óting cze
strawbi(n)g and cze bass(er)bu(r)k
to whom gracious is his ament
(In the year of the Lord 1432 Hans Steinmetz died on Laurentius Day, master of the church and the hospital and in Salzburg, to Ötting, to Straubing and to Wasserburg the god is merciful)